MAP NUMBER: 52
ORIGINAL OWNER: Unknown
CONTRACTOR: George S. Roth
The architect for this interesting shingle-style house
is unknown, but its
ownership can be traced. In a 1899 atlas of Chestnut Hill, the property
owner is listed as E. C. McVickar. The 1905 Social Register indicates
that Mr. and Mrs. Edward Rowland, Edward K. Rowland, and Mr.
and Mrs. George T. Rowland lived on Newton across from Prospect
Street. The 1911 and 1923 atlases show that the property was owned
by the Fidelity Trust Co. Trustees. The 1929 Chestnut Hill/Mt. Airy
Telephone Directory indicates Eugene Y. Allen as owner. In 1986,
Dr. Rosanne Oyer bought the house from Joseph Hughes,
a piano mover, who may have lived there for approximately 25 years.