MAP NUMBER: 66
ORIGINAL OWNER: Joseph Sill Clark, Sr.
ARCHITECT: Clarence C. Zantzinger
CONTRACTOR: William R. Dougherty
“Kate's Hall” is tucked along the edge of the
Wissahickon Park, away
from the street, and the public’s view. Zantzinger designed additions for
Clark in 1904, 1906, and 1910. This house under went a radical
transformation of style in 1935 (Charles F. Rabenold, architect),
converting it from an Italian-Renaissance palazzo as seen in this
photograph to a neo-Georgian country home (part of the third floor
was removed). Other alterations occurred in 1959 and 1960. The
original owner was Joseph Sill Clark Sr. A later longtime owner
was Mrs. John Wintersteen (nee Bonnie McIlhenny). The house
was demonlished in 2006 to make way for a new house.
See Jarvis, "Chestnut Hill Revisited," p. 107.