8705 Germantown Avenue

 
click on image to see larger version

(photograph from Chestnut Hill Historical Society-John Naylor Collection: 1970.23)

MAP NUMBER: 36
DATE: ca. 1890
ORIGINAL OWNER: Dr. Robert Bolling’s House
ARCHITECT: Unknown
CONTRACTOR: Unknown
DEMOLISHED:  1929-1932

This shingle-style dwelling stood where the Top of Hill shopping center
(built in 1975 and 1976) and the trolley and bus turn-around is
today.  In the 1930s, it was replaced by the "Grove Diner."  On the
left side of the photograph, the rear corner of the Christian Hall Library
building (1872), forerunner of the Chestnut Hill branch of the Free
Library of Philadelphia, appears and beyond it the top of the Church
of Our Mother of Consolation's steeple.

CHHS Home