MAP NUMBER: 11
ORIGINAL OWNER: Horace Brown
ARCHITECT: Samuel Sloan
CONTRACTOR: Peter Hendel
Charles Taylor was the developer for this home on the
corner of Chestnut Hill and Norwood Avenues. In 1883, Colonel
George H. North, a banker and broker, bought the house from
Dr. Robert Bolling. The structure behind was constructed in 1887 as a
school building for what is now Our Mother of Consolation Church.
While the present school building was being constructed, this house
was used as the school and then was demolished in 1928. It is now
a parking lot. The mirror image of this house is on the southeast corner
of Green Street and Walnut Lane in Germantown with the porch removed.
See Hotchkin, "Germantown, Mount Airy, and Chestnut
Hill," p. 452.
See Jarvis, "Chestnut Hill Revisited," p. 98.
See Detweiler, "Chestnut Hill: An Architectural History," house pictured