MAP NUMBER : 2
ORIGINAL OWNER: Cephas G. Childs
ARCHITECT: Thomas Ustick Walter
This Gothic-Revival villa called “Inglewood Cottage”
was designed by Thomas
Ustick Walter, a prominent mid-19th century architect. This was one of the
first summer "cottages" built in north Chestnut Hill for upper-class Philadelphians
seeking to escape the city, the beginning of a trend of sophisticated,
fashionable houses in this rural community. Childs was a director of the
Chestnut Hill Railroad, which brought the first railroad to Chestnut Hill in 1854.
for the design of Girard College, and the Greek
Revival additions to Andalusia on the Delaware River. He was architect
of the United States Capitol in Washington, D.C., where he designed
the House and Senate wings and its cast iron dome in the 1850s.
In 1900, the architectural firm of Kennedy, Hays,
altered the house by stripping some of its Gothic ornament. The Lovering
family, which owned the property throughout much of the twentieth century,
altered it in 1906 and added a garage in 1966.
See Jarvis, "Chestnut Hill Revisited," p. 96.