click on image for larger version
MAP NUMBER: 68
ORIGINAL OWNER: Henry J. Williams
Henry J. Williams originally owned this property.
His niece, Julia Williams
Rush Biddle (1833-1898; married in 1855) and her husband, Colonel
Alexander Biddle (1819-1899), lived in this home, "Lanoraie." It is
not clear who actually built the home, Williams or Biddle. Colonel
Biddle served on General Ulysses S. Grant's staff during the Civil
War and was a banker. Three of their children, Louis, Marianne,
and Lynford, continued to live at "Lanoraie" for some time. The
Philadelphia Blue Book Directory of 1903 , p. 360, lists Lynford Biddle
at "Lanoraie," Stenton Avenue, Chestnut Hill. A Schwenkfelter cemetery
from 18th century is on the back of this property, access now by a path
from Stenton Avenue.
See Jarvis, "Chestnut Hill Revisited," p. 98.
See Hotchkin, "Germantown, Mount Airy, and Chestnut Hill," p. 436.